Port of Argentia is a heavy industrial seaport located on the southeastern portion of the Island of Newfoundland, in Placentia Bay. Formerly the site of a U.S. Naval Base, Argentia is being redeveloped with a diverse group of port users and tenants involved in marine transportation, manufacturing, information technology, construction, offshore oil, mining and other sectors.
With a strategic location near the main shipping lanes between North America and Europe, Argentia offers well-maintained infrastructure, a highly skilled local workforce, and significant cost advantages.
For weather, tidal and other marine information on Port of Argentia and Placentia Bay, click on www.smartbay.ca.
For information on the Marine Atlantic Ferry Service from North Sydney, NS to Argentia, NL, please click on www.marineatlantic.ca.
We encourage you to browse our web site and learn more details about the Port of Argentia, 'where potential launches opportunity'.
Why Port of Argentia?
These are just a few of the reasons why you should choose Port of Argentia as the location for your business venture:
- Strategic Location – A superb location in the centre of major North Atlantic shipping lanes and access to the world’s most affluent markets.
- Ice-Free-Port – One of the finest ice-free deep water ports in Atlantic Canada.
- Industrial Land - 2,000 acres of developed, flat land zoned for industrial use adjacent to the port.
- Skilled Workforce – A highly skilled and motivated workforce on the Avalon Peninsula.
- Government Incentives – Major Federal, Provincial and Municipal Government Incentives.
- Professional Team - A professional business development team to support your start up or expansion at Argentia.
- Cost Savings – Port fees and land lease rates positioned favourably to compete with other port and land authorities.
In combination, these key selling points can provide a compelling value proposition for your company. Port of Argentia wants your business. Come and talk to us about your business needs today!
Port of Argentia provides effective stewardship of the seaport and industrial property assets at Argentia for the long-term benefit of the communities and people of the Placentia region of Newfoundland & Labrador.
Port of Argentia has committed to the following guiding principles that outline our core values and frame our successes:
- High ethical standards in all aspects of our work and decision-making processes
- Innovation and excellence in port, property and environmental management
- Excellence in business development and local advocacy
- High standards of safety & security at Argentia and communities impacted by our operations
- Self-sustainability and financial strength
- Excellence in community, industry and government relations
- Commitment to superior client service
- Organizational effectiveness through team orientation and employee development
- Best practices in corporate governance
Board of Directors
Port of Argentia is led by a veteran Board of Directors providing a mature long term economic development vision for the Port. The Board is comprised of nine business and community volunteers including a permanent seat for the mayor or other elected official of the Town of Placentia. The Board meets regularly to ensure sound and practical decisions on the operations of the port, potential business opportunities and other related matters.
Mr. Hedley Burge
Ms. Vivian Smith
Mr. Francis Collins
Mr. Dan Greene
Mr. Dan Culleton
Mr. Ray Hefford
Mr. Ed O'Keefe
Mr. Bernie Power
Director (Municipal Representative)
Mr. John Seay
Loyola (Junior) Pomeroy
The Maintenance Team
Robert (Bob) Brooks
Fred Hefford Journeyman Pipefitter
Leo Collins Journeyman Carpenter
Jim Picco Carpentry Technician
Tony Byrde Custodial/Maintenance Assistant
For more information, please contact:Chief Executive Officer
Port Facility & Operations OfficerNorthside Dock Office
- Town of Placentia Winter Carnival
- Unity PARC Figure Skating
- Placentia & Area Community Food Bank
- 1st Dunville Group Scouts Canada
- Laval High School
- Ken Browne Memorial Scholarship
- Placentia Boxing Group
- Freshwater Community Centre
- Placentia Recreation
- Festival of Flags
- Placentia Intertown Minor Hockey Association
- Dunville Lions Club Santa Claus Parade
- Placentia Area Theatre d'Heritage
- St. Anne’s Academy
- Janeway Children's Hospital
- Epilepsy NL & Labrador
- Daffodil Place
- Stepping Stones Giving From the Heart Program
- Placentia Lions Club Happy Tree
- Trinity Placentia Conception Health Foundation
- Children’s Wish Foundation
- Placentia Rowing Club
- College of the North Atlantic - Heavy Equipment Program
- Placentia Area Development Association
- Placentia Area Historical Society