The Ship Harbour Building
Built in 1956, this one storey structure (formerly housed public works, administration, shops and storage) has a floor area of 31,200 sq. ft/2,910 m2 with the height of the roof deck approximately 15 ft./4.5 m above the floor.
The administration section, located at the building center, has an area of 13,100 sq. ft/1,220 m2 and is divided into over twenty offices of various sizes as well as a staff lounge, a conference room, storage rooms, and washrooms.
Four large storerooms, with a total floor area of 7,750 sq. ft/720 m2, occupy the right wing. Each storeroom has its own overhead steel door and personnel door opening at grade level.
Located in the left wing, with a total of 9,250 sq. ft/860 m2 of floor area, are three workshops; electrical, carpentry, and metalworking with their related office and storerooms. Each shop has overhead and personnel doors as well.
The Placentia Bay Building
Built in 1965 with a floor area of 11,700 sq. ft./1,087 m2, this building is now occupied by Stellar Woodworks Inc. as a wood production facility for security containers, stair risers, and cabinet doors.
Also included are the usual related facilities such as washrooms, storage rooms, and an office.
THE FRESHWATER BUILDING
The Freshwater Building (formerly a warehouse and fire station) is a multi-bay, single-storey building that was built in 1942 with a total floor area of 29,640 sq. ft./2,755 m2 and a floor to roof deck height of 14 ft./4.2m consisting of two independent areas; a warehouse section and a fire station section.
The warehouse section is divided into four large and three small storage areas each with a personnel door. The three single bay areas have an overhead door each while the larger three and five bay areas (two of each) have from two to five overhead doors.
The Fire Station section has a three bay garage, an administrative section with a kitchen, a row of utility rooms including equipment storage. Current tenants include Argentia Properties Services Inc., Fusion Services Inc., Public Works Department for the Town of Placentia, Stellar Woodworks Inc., and College of the North Atlantic. While most of this building is currently occupied, a number of the bays may be available. Please contact us for further information.
THE FOX HARBOUR BUILDING
This single-storey office/warehouse building constructed in 1956 has a floor area of 10,500 sq. ft./975 m2 and a floor to roof deck height of 15 ft./4.5m.
The administration area runs along the front and left side and includes nine offices of various sizes, washrooms, storage, and a lunch room.
Two large storage rooms of about 3,850 sq. ft./360 m2 in total extend along the back; they are divided in half by a wood stud and plywood wall.
The receiving and shipping warehouse occupies the right side and utilizes about 3,850 sq. Ft./265 m2 of floor area. There are two overhead steel doors. One serves a single bay loading dock at the rear; the other, a grade level entrance located at the front.
THE FERNDALE BUILDING
This facility (formerly an equipment storage and vehicle maintenance building), was constructed in 1942, and has a total floor area of 24,800 sq. ft./2,300 m2 with a floor roof deck height of 17 ft./5.2 m in the main building, and 13 ft./3.9 m in the car wash wing.
The main area occupies approximately 22,665 sq. ft./1,385 m2 of floor space. Previously the building was used as a warehouse. During 1996 the building was renovated to house a mushroom growing plant complete with all components necessary for this operation, i.e. controlled temperature air handling units, heat pumps and two each 100 hp steam boilers. All equipment is currently in place, but in a lay-up condition.
THE ARGENTIA BUILDING
The Argentia Building (formerly the A. L. Bristol School) was built in 1959 and is a single-storey structure with a floor area of 48,500 sq. ft./4,510 m2. It is presently divided into two main sections; an elementary school with a gymnasium attached, and a section, one wing, devoted to community activities.
The building has sixteen classroom sized rooms that were occupied by a library, weight room, and computer lab. The average size of a classroom is 27 x 23 ft./8.2 x 7.0 m. There are also administrative offices, kitchens, and washrooms (two each for male and female students).
The gymnasium wing is complete with a stage, locker rooms, and a galley with related storage rooms. The gym floor (play area) measures approximately 56 x 80 ft./17.0 x 24.4 m and has pull out table/bench units so the area can be used for a lunch room.
A nursery and day-care centre, with related administrative and storage areas, occupy a third of the community activities wing. There are also eight (8) classroom sized meeting rooms for various groups.
To the right of the main entrance, ten thousand (10,000) sq. ft. of space was completely renovated in 2000, and is currently leased by Public Works & Government Services Canada.
The John Whelan Building
Head office and administration building, Port of Argentia.
The John Whelan building was constructed in 2006 and has served as a former business call center. The Port moved into this location in June of 2017 following the sale of its former location at 12 Marquise Avenue.
The Port’s administration building is fully equipped with offices, meeting rooms, a corporate board room, training room, storage and kitchen facilities, strategically laid out in over 6,000 sq ft’ of functional office space. The surrounding lands and parking lot are located on a 1.5-acre lot near the Port’s Argentia Sunset RV Park, overlooking scenic Placentia Bay and Argentia harbour.